Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Peter Gonzalez[_2_] Peter Gonzalez[_2_] is offline

Default Add text automatically by recognized value

I'm trying to create a formula where it recognizes the first three digits of
an item number at the same time entering the department name in the cell next
to it. So let's say the item number R33569 for dept. WRP, I would only need
it to recognize the R33 while entering WRP in the column next to the item
number.

This is what I got on my work sheet
Column C Item Number
R33569
R33456
R33447

In the column to the right or left doesn't matter which I need to say the
dept. name. So how can i do that without having go through the hundreds of
partnumbers that I have. let me know if you need more explanation.
I appreciate the help