Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default counting groups of words

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 08:41:25 -0700 (PDT), Seller Smith
wrote:

I have a column of cells that I would like to count the occurances of
duplications of each group of words.
Example: AMIN500S 1
AMIN400EC 9
AMINO500 5 and so on.
I would like a formula that does not require me to input any specific
text to search for in the formula as there are over 12000 entries in
the column.
Any help on this dilema is greatly appreciated.

AMIN500S
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMINO500
AMINO500
AMINO500
AMINO500
AMINO500

You could use a Pivot Table.

Put a label at the top of the column; e.g. "Words"
Select some cell within the table
Insert/Pivot Table (menu option different on pre XL2007)

Drag Words to Row area
Drag Words to Data or Values area
It should come up "Count of Words"

Format to taste:

Words Count
AMIN400EC 9
AMIN500S 1
AMINO500 5

Grand Total 15

One option, since you wrote you only wanted to list the duplications:

Select the "Filter" drop down button next to Words
Value Filters
Does not equal
1

Words Count