Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default counting groups of words

Hi,

Hi you could use
=COUNTIF(A:A,A1)

But if you used this on your data list you would get duplicates. Instead you
could extract unique values to another range using

Data|Filter|Advanced filter and then follow the wizard to extract the unique
values to a new location and use the formula above on these unique values.
--
Mike

question.

"Seller Smith" wrote:

I have a column of cells that I would like to count the occurances of
duplications of each group of words.
Example: AMIN500S 1
AMIN400EC 9
AMINO500 5 and so on.
I would like a formula that does not require me to input any specific
text to search for in the formula as there are over 12000 entries in
the column.
Any help on this dilema is greatly appreciated.

AMIN500S
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC
AMIN400EC