Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default how do I change format to percentage without multiplying by 100

"Fdn Girl" wrote:
I have imported ROI data for securities to Excel.
However, when the ROI comes over, it is formatted
as 1.3, instead of 1.3%. When I try to change to
format to %, it automatically multiplies by 100 and
I get 130%.

You could use the Custom format `0.0\%` without quotes.

But I think that is a poor idea. Note that if you ever use that cell
reference in an arithmetic expression, you must remember to divide by 100
each time, e.g. =A1*A2/100, where A2 contains the number 1.3 formatted as
`0.0\%`.

I think it would be better to convert the imported number. You can do this
by putting 100 into an unused cell and copy it. Then select the ROI cells,
right-click, and click Paste Special Divide OK, and format the ROI cells
as Percentage. You can delete the 100.