arno

Hi KL,
...or instead of converting all your data you can try and use my
solution posted below :-))

I do not agree. I always set the datatypes right once, then I never
have to think about it again. Pls. note that the data can be a
datasource for other databases etc. etc. Then you always have to manage
the problem within the formulas. The best is always to set everything
as early as possible - eg. in the sql-statement you use to query the
data which solves the problem even before the data arrives in excel.
This problem arises very very often so I solve it where it starts.

BTW your formula is _wrong_ because if you search for 1a you will find
it in
1a
xxxx1a
1axxxx