Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default Can I use Sumproduct with the LEFT Function?

"tompl" wrote:
I did try it. It did not work without the parens and it did work
with the parens on my machine.

I am using Excel 2003; no problem, as I said. I copy-and-pasted Chris's
formula verbatim.

What Excel version are you using?

Perhaps B4:B1004 requires parentheses in an earlier Excel version. I would
be surprised (well, only a little :-<) if it no longer works in later Excel
versions. Can anyone else confirm Tom's observation?

Anyway, it is unclear whether Chris encountered an error when he/she tried
to enter the formula, or if Chris was merely asking if anyone could foresee
a functional problem with a formula that seems to work when he/she tried it.
The latter is my interpretation of Chris's question.

I did try it. It did not work without the parens and it did work with the
parens on my machine.

Tom

"Joe User" wrote:

"tompl" wrote:
It's a paren thing, try this:
=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($F$4:$F$1004,2)="SM")
*($B$4:$B$1004))

Parentheses are not required around the range B4:B1004. I saw no syntax
error in Chris's original posting, to wit:

=SUMPRODUCT((LEFT($F$4:$F$1004,2)="SM")*$B$4:$B$10 04)

You should try it before commenting.