Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Chris Chris is offline

Default Can I use Sumproduct with the LEFT Function?

Hi, I'm using xl 2007. I need to sum figures in column B if the relevant
cell in column F has an entry that starts SM. I was trying to use SUMPRODUCT
but I can't seem to get the right way of using the LEFT function to
stipulate when to include the figure in col B. I was hoping not to use an
array formula just because I'm the only person here who understands them. My
question is; as SUMPRODUCT is numerical and LEFT is text based, is that a
bad mix? if so, how should I go about it please? I know I could hive off the
first 2 characters and mark a cell 1 or 0 according to if they match SM but
if I did that I would want to hide those columns and would prefer a one
formula solution if possible.
Thanks
Chris