Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default Excel's COMBIN and integers

"David Biddulph" <groups [at] biddulph.org.uk wrote:
If your ISP doesn't support NNTP access, use the server
msnews.microsoft.com

If you mean using Outlook Express, Windows Mail or something similar to set
up an "account" that connects to the MSnews server, that __does__ use the
NNTP protocol.

But most people do not use the correct terminology when talking about
newsgroups (aka discussion groups). So it is unclear exactly what Jerry
means.

When I look back at Jerry's postings (e.g. Nov 2008), everything is
consistent with his posting through the MS Discussion Groups server, and it
is consistent with his latest posting [1]. But he might have been unaware
of that if he was using an interface provided by his ISP.

I wouldn't mind understanding this in more detail. What did Jerry do
exactly in the past? What did he do differently for his latest posting?

(We should probably take this discussion to a new thread or offline using
email.)

-----
Endnotes

[1] Relevant headers from Jerry's latest posting:

Headers from Jerry's Nov 2008 posting (and many others):

Compare with headers for my posting through the MSDG web interface:

Constrast with headers from my posting through the MSnews server using OE:

The domain name (suffix) in the Message-ID header is usually indicative of
the server to which the message was posted: microsoft.com for the MSDG
server; phx.gbl for the MSnews server. However, the posting agent (local
program) can create its own Message-ID header.

However, also note the NNTP-Posting-Host header.