Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
lcc lcc is offline

Default lookup help. lookup result based on data in 2 columns

Hi
Wonder if you can help as i cant get my head around this. I have tried
to use a combination of match, index, vlookup but just cant get the
combination right, and now I am totally lost and even a basic vlookup
isnt working

I have a spreadsheet which contains a list of projects. Within this i
have cells where you select a project size (s,m,l), enter a release
month, then dependant on the combination of the 2 cells (project size
and Rel month) the 3rd cell should display the relevant deadline date.

Worksheet 1
contains a list of defined project sizes, release dates and deadline
date (The rel month and deadline data could change)

Size Rel Month Deadline
Small May 10 30-Nov-09
MED May 10 01-Oct-09
Large May 10 01-Sep-09
Small Aug 10 01-Feb-10
MED Aug 10 01-Jan-10
Large Aug 10 01-Dec-09
Small Nov 10 01-Apr-10
MED Nov 10 01-Mar-10
Large Nov 10 01-Feb-10

(i have tried the array list in a couple ways but no joy)

Rel Small MED Large
May 10 30-Nov-09 01-Oct-09 01-Sep-09
Aug 10 01-Feb-10 01-Jan-10 01-Dec-09
Nov 10 01-Apr-10 01-Mar-10 01-Feb-10

Worksheet 2
contains the larger listing of projects and within this i have cells
where you select a project size, enter a release month, then dependant
on the combination of the 2, the 3rd cell should automatically display
the relevant due date
I tried various combintions of h/vlookup in the 3rd cell refering to
the data on worksheet 1, but I just seem to have got lost

eg results should be
Size Rel Date DEADLINE
Small May 10 30-Nov-09
Med Nov 10 01-Mar-10