Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
nadine nadine is offline

Default Formula/Function for parsing data

Your and Gary's both worked. I must have missed something in Gary's but when
I tried it again, it worked. Thank you both!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Since it appears you are willing to parse the name out in another cell, try
this formula...

=TRIM(RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"-",REPT(" ",99)),99))

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Nadine" wrote in message
This doesn't work. The name is after the "- " if there is one. Thanks
for
trying.

"Gary Brown" wrote:

Assuming the name is after the ' - '...
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("-",A1)),A1,TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("-",A1))))
--
Hope this helps.
If it does, please click the Yes button.

"Nadine" wrote:

I have a column of data which is not consistent. Examples of the data
in the
column: C- Name, CO- Name, CN- Name, Name, etc.

I want to write a formula/function that will automatically return only
the
name (first and last). I know I can convert my data from text to
columns or
even write a macro to do this but I don't want anyone to have to
remember to
do anything. I want the name to be returned once the data is pasted
into a
template.

Thanks.

.