Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gary Brown[_6_] Gary Brown[_6_] is offline

Default Formula/Function for parsing data

Assuming the name is after the ' - '...
=IF(ISERROR(FIND("-",A1)),A1,TRIM(RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("-",A1))))
--
Hope this helps.
If it does, please click the Yes button.

"Nadine" wrote:

I have a column of data which is not consistent. Examples of the data in the
column: C- Name, CO- Name, CN- Name, Name, etc.

I want to write a formula/function that will automatically return only the
name (first and last). I know I can convert my data from text to columns or
even write a macro to do this but I don't want anyone to have to remember to
do anything. I want the name to be returned once the data is pasted into a
template.

Thanks.