Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Formula/Function for parsing data

How complete are your examples; that is, when the name is not by itself, is
the additional text **always** in front of the name and is there **always**
a dash between them? Also, do I understand correctly that you want the
parsed name to replace the typed-in name in the same cell? Is yes to this
last question, you will need VB code to do this automatically... is a VB
code solution okay? If not, then you will need to put the parsed data in
another column using a formula (you cannot have a formula in a cell that a
user types in).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Nadine" wrote in message
I have a column of data which is not consistent. Examples of the data in
the
column: C- Name, CO- Name, CN- Name, Name, etc.

I want to write a formula/function that will automatically return only the
name (first and last). I know I can convert my data from text to columns
or
even write a macro to do this but I don't want anyone to have to remember
do anything. I want the name to be returned once the data is pasted into
template.

Thanks.