Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson Dave Peterson is offline

Default excel changes date

You have to help excel by entering the date in the same order as the way you
have windows set--no matter how the cell is formatted.

So if your windows setting is in dmy order, you have to put the day/month/year.

And since 3/1/10 can be interpreted lots of different ways (March 1, 2010 or
January 3, 2010 -- or even more!), excel helps by doing the interpretation that
matches that windows setting.

And I'm betting that excel sees 3/19/10 as text--not even a date, since there is
no 19th month (dmy order!).

The way you change that windows setting in windows XP is:
Windows start button
Control panel|regional and Language Options|Regional options tab
Customize button|Date Tab
And change that short date format.

sue gray wrote:

When I enter 3/1/10 enter a cell formatted number, date, 3/14/01, it changes
it to 1/3/10. But if I enter 3/19/10 in the same cell it leaves it alone.

It is only on one pc, if I open the same file from a different pc the date
works fine.

Any ideas.

Thanks

--