Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
JLatham JLatham is offline

Default Block cracking code from opening protected excel sheets

It is pretty much as Mike H said - you cannot keep the determined out. Even
the term used "Protect" and "Unprotect" do not really imply "Security".

For any given actual password, some combination that Mike described is going
to come up with the same 'key' to unprotect the sheet. At this point all you
could do would be to change the password ... and wait 5 minutes for someone
to crack it again and pass the new alternative password around the office.

"Barbara" wrote:

There is a code that has been found that opens our password protected files
even thought the sheet is protected is there a way to prevent this.
AAAAABBAABBf typed in will unlock the sheet and now that the majority of
people here know that I need to find a way to lock it up without having to
use a password to open the file (people need to see the content). Does
anyone know how to block this?