Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Ashish Mathur[_2_] Ashish Mathur[_2_] is offline

Default Unique Rank with Duplicate Entries

Hi,

Create a pivot table - drag names to the row area and data area. Then just
sort the data area numbers in descending order

Ashish Mathur
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Demosthenes" wrote in message

I have a question about a slightly complicated Rank function I want to
write, and Im having a problem with it. Say you have the following data:

Bob
Jim
Bob
Dan
Bill
Jim
Bob
Matt
Bob
Jim
Dan
Matt
Greg

I want to make a list that ranks these entries in order of how often they
appear, and that takes into account ties. Like so:

Bob (4)
Jim (3)
Matt (2)
Dan (2)
Greg (1)
Bill (1)

Does anyone have any ideas? Ive come close using CountIf and Unique
Ranks,
but I cant figure out how to resolve the problem of having the same names
occur more than once. I also want to do this with as few helper columns as
possible.

Thanks,