Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Kluck Joe Kluck is offline

Default Generating Possible Combinations and Assigning ID Number

I'm not even sure if this is possible, but if anyone has advice I would
greatly appreciate it.

I'm transcribing information from my study into an Excel Spreadsheet. In my
study, "mental health disorder" is part of my baseline demographics. When
entering the data into the spreadsheet, I would like to assign a number to
each "mental health disorder". However, many patients have various
combinations of these disorders, and I would like to assign one number for
each possible combination, to simplify the data entering process.

From the information I have collected, I was able to categorize the
disorders into 9 categories. Would it be possible to have Excel generate a
list of all possible combinations of these disorders, and then assign a
unique number to each combination?

These are the 9 categories I'm working with:
Anxiety Disorder
Bipolar Disorder
Cognitive Disorder
Depressive Disorder
Mood Disorder
Panic Disorder
Personality Disorder
PTSD
Schizophrenia

Even if this is possible, I'm not sure if it's the most efficient process.
I know I won't have a ridiculous amount of combinations, but having Excel
create the list would save me from manually determining which combinations
are currently present in my study.

Any feed back would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!