Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Use vlookup within offset?

I've used index/match successfully for this purpose,

That's what you want to use.

but vlookup gives me "the formula you typed contains
an error." with no explanation of the error.
=offset(vlookup(b7,'sheet1!$f$1:$f$182),1,0),1,0)

The error is being caused by OFFSET. The first argument must be a reference.
VLOOKUP returns a value not a reference.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"berniean" wrote in message
Can I use a vlookup within an offset formula to define the reference? I
want
to find a value in a column on a tab, go down one, and record the anwser.

On sheet2 in cell c7 I type the formula:

=offset(vlookup(b7,'sheet1!$f$1:$f$182),1,0),1,0)

b7 is defined by another lookup formula so it's variable depending on an
input cell.

I've used index/match successfully for this purpose, but vlookup gives me
"the formula you typed contains an error." with no explanation of the
error.

What I'm doing is converting a column of entries on sheet1 to a horizontal
sequence on a form that is sheet2. I want the user to input a code into
cell
A1 on sheet2. This generates the value in b7. I want to find the cell
below
the value in b7 on a list in sheet1 and put it in c7. Then I want d7 to
look
for c7 in the list and record the value below it. The list has to stop
when
certain things change, but that's another issue. I have to solve this one
first.

Any suggestions?