Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Fred Smith[_4_] Fred Smith[_4_] is offline

Default Figures locked in text format

This is common in data download from the internet. It's typically
non-breaking spaces (Alt-160) which are causing the problem. Unfortunately,
neither Trim nor Clean removes these characters. Your solution is as good as
any.

Regards,
Fred

"Marcia" wrote in message
Fred,
Just after my last message- I poked around on-line one more time and found
on a PC magazine discussion group someone that had the same exact problem
as
me and it turned out that the solution was to use find and replace, but in
find I had to copy the spaces from behind my numbers and paste those into
find box and replace with blank. It worked. I'm good to go. Thanks
again.

-Marcia

"Fred Smith" wrote:

Give us an example of the data you are working with. And what have you
tried
to "do to it"?

Regards,
Fred

"Marcia" wrote in message
I imported data from a web page and used the feature that allows me to
post
the info to Excel with the destination formatting of the file I am
posting
it
to. However, when I try to manipulate the data, as I have done in the
past
with other data, it will not let me reformat the text to number- no
matter
what I do to it. I've tried everything! I want to be able to sum the
column,
etc.

.