Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
FSt1 FSt1 is offline

Default Count If value

hi
count numbers in B or sum numbers in B? i may still be confused here.
counting instances of Dem in A would be the same counting a number in B that
matches up to Dem in A and B would still have no relevence.
unless you had a situation where you didn't want to count certain numbers
like zeros. use sumproduct then
=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A20="Dem")*(B1:B20<0))

if your are counting, B should have no relevence.

regards
FSt1

"Kennedy" wrote:

Thanks for the replies....
Column B will have relevance in the formula. Specifically, I am counting the
actual number returned. While I onlyu put 1 in column B, the return value
could be 2, 3, 4, etc....
So what I would like to do is say, count all the numbers in column B for the
Dems in column A and ive me a total, then count all the numbers in column B
for Fre and give me a total.

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
afterthought..
column B would have relevence if you were using SumIf.

which are we talking about??

regards
FSt1

"FSt1" wrote:

hi
countif....
=countif(A1:A20,"Dem")
results = 3
column B has no relevence.

what problems are you haveing?

Regards
FSt1

"Kennedy" wrote:

Trying to find a way to use a countif value that pulls back specific count
for certain values in a column. Using countif because the cell contains a
computed value that returns a value of 1
So if:
Col A Col B
Dem 1
Dem 1
Dem 1
FRE 1
FRE 1
FRE 1

The countif value would show for Dem 3 and Fre 3