Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Daniel Daniel is offline

Default testing range of cells for part of cell content

Yes, I believe so. They will all be either letter followed by two digits or 3
letters.

"T. Valko" wrote:

I need my formula to sum the last two digits
of only the values starting with "P" and that
have a number for the last two.

Ok

Will the entries to be summed *always* be 3 characters long starting with a
"P" follwed by a 2 digit number?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Daniel" wrote in message
Hi, I'm new to advanced excel formulas so please bear with me.

So I'm trying to make a formula that sums only certain values in a range
of
cells. The problem is I need to manipulate each cell content before
testing/adding to the sum (but not do this permanently of course). For
example, if i have a range of 3 cells that contain the values "P90",
"PHP",
"B60", I need my formula to sum the last two digits of only the values
starting with "P" and that have a number for the last two.

I haven't been able to get something like this to work, even for really
simple formulas like counting the number of cells whose right character is
numeric or summing the right characters of all cells in a range. Any
suggestions? Maybe i'm thinking of this from too much of a programming
perspective?

Thanks
Daniel

.