Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier[_8_] Roger Govier[_8_] is offline

Default getting info from array but not using column / row numbers

Hi

I put 300 in H1 and 14 in I1 and then used the formula

=INDEX(A1:E5,MATCH(H1,A1:A5,0),MATCH(I1,A1:E1,0))

--
Regards
Roger Govier

MS_user wrote:
i need to get info from table:

Dist / Age 12 13 14 15
100 1.4 2.0 3.0 4.0
200 1.3 2.1 3.1 4.2
300 1.5 2.2 3.2 4.4
400 1.6 2.3 3.4 3.4

So, if i needed to get data for a 14 year old where distance is 300, I need
to search both row and column labels to get required row and column numbers
in order to retrieve data - in this case 3.2

Any ideas? I can put absolute row and column numbers in, e.g. 3,3 but i need
to search labels first based upon contents of another cells (in this case 14
and 300).

Assistance greatfully received!!! Many thanks.