Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Randomizing

Hi,

The sort causes a recalculation so it comes after the sort takes place so
data will sort on the values you see in the helper column prior to the sort
taking place.

This can be verified by looking at the random numbers after the sort which
aren't in sorted order because they have changed.
--
Mike

question.

"James Silverton" wrote:

Hello All!

I have been using a sort on a helper column of random numbers [generated
by RAND() ] to randomize a data set but I notice that the column of
random numbers changes when I do the sort. Can any expert tell me if the
sort or the recalculation occurs first?

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland