Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
msnyc07 msnyc07 is offline

Default Replace Function that uses lookup table?

I have a large (50k+records) spreadsheet I've been 'cleaning' using some
basic cell functions that look for specific strings and then remove or
substitute, using mostly if(isnumber(search("String", Cell#) and things like
left, right, substitute.

However these are getting kind of long as the lists of words to
remove/replace is getting large.

At it's simplest I'd love to do something that effectively does:

In This Cell
If the String Contains <AnyWordsInThisTable/Row/Etc
Remove that Word

Even Better would be if I had a two column sheet (e.g. WordsSheet) and could
do

If this String Contains Any of the Words in WordSheet:ColumnA
Replace with WordSheet;ColumnB

Ideally in either/both cases I could specify Whole or Partial Word

Any ideas appreciated, my cell formulas are getting quite clunky and hard to
both create and troubleshoot!

Thanks in advance!