hitraveler

Default Why does # of filtered rows appear in status bar only sometimes?

I have 2 almost identical files containing lists. Choose Data | Filter |
Autofilter. Choose an item from the drop-down list in a column. In one
file, the # of rows filtered appears in the far left corner of the status
bar. In the other file, the words "Filter Mode" appears in that spot. In
both files I have right-clicked on the status bar and chosen "Count". How do
I make the # of rows filtered appear in the file that says "Filter Mode"?
Excel 2003,SP3.