Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
DubboPete DubboPete is offline

Default A different kind of VLookup

On Mar 15, 8:00*pm, ck13 wrote:
See if this works for you. Assume the following table and D2 is the handicap
that you put in and E2 is the result of the lookup:

* * A * * * * * *B * * * * * * C * * * D * * *E
1
2 *-30 *-10 * * A * * *-17 * * A
3 *-9 * 0 * * * B
4 *1 * *10 * * *C
5 *11 * 20 * * *D
6 *21 * 30 * * *E
7 *31 * 40 * * *F
8 *41 * 50 * * *G

In E2, paste =LOOKUP(D2,A2:B8,C2:C8)
change the range as required
If it works, click yes below.

"DubboPete" wrote:
Hi all,

I have a column of cells that I want to VLookup the answer for. *It's
for a snooker tournament. *It could be for a golf tournament too!

I have a sheet (GRADES) with three columns. *A2 to B8 contain values
that I want compared. *In C2:C8 are the results of the comparison.

It's a rolling handicap down from A2 to A8, B2 to B8, and C2 to C8.
These are the values :

-30 *-10 * A
-9 *0 * B
1 *10 * C
11 *20 * D
21 *30 * E

If a player's handicap is -17 (between -30 and -10, (A2 and B2)), then
his grade is 'A' (C2)

I just cannot figure how to do the VLookup to display C2 in the other
sheet...

thanks in anticipation

Pete

ck13, didn't quite get to your answer, becos p45cal came through with
a solution, but thanks for the input!

Pete