Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default how to return a serial number to a date

Off topic...

I made a reply to you in that thread about random non-repeating numbers but
for whatever reason it didn't get posted. So I tried posting it as a reply
to my own reply but that didn't work either. It didn't contain any
references to "X" or "Y" or "Z" either! It hasn't shown up at any of the
usual places: OE as a newsreader, the MS discussion groups website or even
Google Groups.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I guess I'll just wait for the topic
to come up again.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Joe User" <joeu2004 wrote in message
"Holly" wrote:
Is there a formula to convert the serial number 40899
above back to 12/22/2011?

It would help to know the context and the purpose.

If 40899 is the value of an Excel cell, you can simply change the format
Date or some Custom date format.

But note that that only changes the appearance, not the value. That is
usually what we want. But if you want text in the form of a date, if
40899
is in A1, then in B1, enter the formula =TEXT(A1,"mm/dd/yyyy") or whatever
date format you want. Then copy B1, and paste-special-value into A1. You
can then delete B1.

There are similar things to do in VB. If that is your context, post a
response and we can provide details.