Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Roger Govier[_8_] Roger Govier[_8_] is offline

Default Making first column number in order

Hi terry

the physical row number, that you see down the far left of the sheet
does alter.
If you delete rows 2:7, then the numbering remains as 1, 2 etc and the
row number of the last entry is the total number of "records" that have,
including your header row.

However, if you are entering 1, 2, 3 etc in column A yourself, then
deleting whole rows, the numbering will not adjust, and will leave gaps
as you say.
You can overcome this by not typing the number itself, but entering
=Row() in A1 and filling down.
What will be displayed is the row number, which will self adjust if you
delete any rows.

To prevent numbers appearing all down the column, I usually enter a
formula in A2 such as
=IF(B1="","",Row())
and copy down as far as I wish
Then as soon as I fill information in column B, the next row gets
numbered automatically.
--
Regards
Roger Govier

Terry wrote:
I am very unfamiliar with Excel or databases in general. My first column/row
is numbered by Excel. However, when I delete fields, the numbers don't move
up to account for that. So let's say my first row has a 1 in front of it.
After I delete fields/rows 2-6, Excel shows that column as 1, then the next
number is 7. I am probably not using the correct terminology here, but
basically, after I delete fields, I cannot look at the last number to see how
many I have. I have to manually count them. I'm sure there's a simple button
to push to fix it, but I haven't found it.
Thanks! Terry