Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Joe User[_2_] Joe User[_2_] is offline

Default Formula to sum up the dates

"Kimti" wrote:
I have column A with the date and column B
with the name of person assigned for the task.
I would like to count how many tasks assigned
to any particular person for whole month based
on column A dates.

Suppose that is in rows 1:1000 in Sheet1, and in Sheet2, you have the list
of employees in column A starting in A2 and the 12 months in B1:M1. The
months should be entered as the first date of each month
(1/1/2010,2/1/2010,etc) formatted with the Custom format "mmm" without quotes
or any other format of your choice.

Put the following formula into B2 and copy across through M2, then copy
B2:M2 down for all employess:

=SUMPRODUCT((MONTH(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$1000)=MONTH(B$1) )
*(Sheet1!$B$1:$B$1000=$A2))

The "*" acts as AND in this context. We cannot use AND() directly.

I have column A with the date and column B with the name of person assigned
for the task. I would like to count how many tasks assigned to any particular
person for whole month based on column A dates.

A B
Jan 10, 2010 John C
Jan 12, 2010 Jason B
Jan 13, 2010 John C

John C was assigned two tasks in Month of Jan. Usally I have about 80 tasks
for 11 employees per month.

Thank you in advance for your help.