Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Guillett[_2_] Don Guillett[_2_] is offline

Default Best method to populate cell based upon drop down list selection

Important The values in array must be placed in ascending order:
....,-2, -1, 0, 1, 2, ..., A-Z, FALSE, TRUE; otherwise, LOOKUP may not give
the correct value. Uppercase and lowercase text are equivalent.

--
Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel

"Thalarctos" wrote in message
I am trying to populate a cell with text based upon a drop down list
selection. I have tried the following but when tested, results are not
always
correct (a toucan is a bird, but a palmino is not a dog) Also, african
grey
returns #N/A.

=LOOKUP(G16,{"pointer","collie","poodle","palomino ","thoroughbred","quarter","parakeet","african
grey","toucan"},{"dog","dog","dog","horse","horse" ,"horse","bird","bird","bird"})

What am I missing?

Drop Down List pulls from a source within the worksheet.