Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Selecting and applying the correct forumla

If you only have two rules then you could have something like this in
D1:

=IF(C1="","",IF(C1="Rule 1",A1+B1,IF(C1="Rule 2",A1-B1,"")))

then copy down. If you have more rules then you will have to give us
some more information about what you have in your "central table".

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Mar 4, 11:21*am, Arjay wrote:
Hi

How do I get Excel to apply a certain formula (held in a central table)
based on particular values in the same row? *I don't want the actual result
of the formula whilst it's in the central table, as this will be different
when pasted into each row.

Example, (where Col D is the place I want the formula from the central table
to be applied to):

Central table:
[Row 1] = A1+B1 (Apply this if column C equals the word "Rule 1")
[Row 2] = A1-B1 (Apply this if column C equals the word "Rule 2")

Spreadsheet:
Col A * Col B * Col C * * * * * Col D
1 * * * 1 * * * Rule 1 * * * * *2
2 * * * 2 * * * Rule 2 * * * * *0