Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Standand Deviation as array

Hi,

On your second table you say you want a standard deviation of 1.707825 for
1001 but the standard deviation of that data is 41.96784 so I assume that's a
typo. To get the SD of 1001 use this array formula

=STDEV(IF(A2:A13=1001,B2:B13))

This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

--
Mike

question.

"Francisco" wrote:

Hi everyone,
Today I have an issue that I do not find a solution.
I have the following summary list:

CompID N. Staff
1001 5
1002 3
1003 2
1004 1

The first column is company ID and the second the number of staff working on
that company, if appplying STDEV(N. Staff) I obtain 1.707825.
So far so good.

I have the extended list from above:

CompID StaffID
1001 67
1001 2
1001 89
1001 22
1001 98
1002 70
1002 65
1002 9
1003 29
1003 97
1004 63

So, for the company 1001 there are 5 individuals, etc.

Based on the second list (this is key) I need to calculate the STDEV that
give me the result, i.e. 1.707825

I have try different things with array formulas but it does not work for me.
Please could anyway suggest me the sytax of such formula (if possible).

Many thanks in advance.