Posted to microsoft.public.excel.links
IgorM[_2_] IgorM[_2_] is offline

Default Excel 2007 link is invalid after referenced book is replaced

Have you tried linking the data through Microsoft Query?

"Chuck" wrote in message
I have a "Dashboard.XLS" in Excel 2007 with some cells that reference
various
other ERP generated EXCEL workbooks.
like this ='S:\Dashboard\Data\[INVENTORY.XLS]Summary'!$D$2/1000
The generated EXCEL sheet [INVENTORY.XLS]summary is replaced each night.
When I open dashboard.xls it doen't update or anything and if I click -
ribbon - data - edit links, the dialog indicates that each link is
"unknown".
If I update or check the status it changes to "Error: Source not found".
If I
click "Open Source" it opens just fine. If I "Change Source" and navigate
the workbook it returns the value and the status behaves as before.

I have a hyperlink specified in the same cell as the formula and it always
works.

I want to be able to replace the referenced workbook using my mainframe
script and have the new data display in my dashboard.xls

Needless to say, my "Dashboard" is brain dead. The links don't update. If
it
were really a dashboard I would get a speeding ticket just before I ran
out
of gas.

Thanks everyone -