Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
moving row data to a column in a sorted[_2_] moving row data to a column in a sorted[_2_] is offline

Default moving row data to a colunm in sorted order

yes there is a problem if the totals a re the same, I've been toying with this
problem for a while. I just can't find a solution. Thanks for your time.

"Paul C" wrote:

I was going along the same lines and know I am over thinking it, but thought
of this problem.

What if two of the totals are the same? The match only finds the first one.

I started with a nested Match/Offset to redefine the range. It got long
really fast and only works if there are only two of the same and not three.

INDEX(OFFSET(A1,0,MATCH(E4,$A$5:$C$5,0),1,COLUMNS( A5:C5)-MATCH(E4,$A$5:$C$5,0)),MATCH(E4,OFFSET(A5,0,MATCH( E4,$A$5:$C$5,0),1,COLUMNS(A5:C5)-MATCH(E4,$A$5:$C$5,0)),0))

There has got to be an easier way
--
If this helps, please remember to click yes.

"Teethless mama" wrote:

Assuming your data in A1:C5

your result in new column is E2:E5

in F2: =INDEX($A$1:$C$1,MATCH(E2,$A$5:$C$5,0))

"moving row data to a column in a sorted" wrote:

I have spreadsheet of several columns and rows. I have taken the row of
totals and moved them to a new column in a sorted order using (=SMALL)
statistical function. The problem is I don't know how to obtain the row
headings and match them up to the new column of ordered numbers. As an
example below, does anyone know how to match the row names to the new column
of numbers.

john pat bob new column
13 22 14 16
01 10 14 33