Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Calc sometimes off by a penny

all dollar amounts that were typed in manually
do an autosum

By "autosum", do you mean you click the AutoSum icon on the standard
toolbar?

If so, that's really strange since the AutoSum icon inserts a SUM function
into the cell. It would be the same as the formula you would type.

A1 = 5
A2 = 5
A3 = 7
A4 = 3
A5 = 7
A6

Select the range A1:A6
Click the AutoSum icon

A6 now contains the formula =SUM(A1:A5)

It would be no different from you actually typing the formula into A6
manually.

What version of Excel are you using?

Can you post an example of the numbers where the two methods produce
different results?

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Access Joe" wrote in message
Hey everyone. Excel 2003.

I will frequently add up a range of cells (all dollar amounts that were
typed in manually). When I add those numbers up with the calculator,
let's
say they equal $1865.60. Then when I take them and put the same exact
numbers into a Column and do an autosum, the number comes up $1865.60.
GREAT!

But when I do an =SUM(... and then highlight the cells containing the same
numbers, the total come up $1865.59 (one penny off). Of course, it's not
all
the time. But I've noticed a difference sometimes between AutoSum and
manually entering a forumla (usually by just a penny). Why is this
happening
and how can I fix this before I loose my mind? Any help would be
appreciated. THANKS!