Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default wildcards in sumproduct functions

You're welcome. Good luck!

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"K1" wrote in message
Thanks for supplying the ultimate response. Disappointly, sumproduct does
not have some of the capabilities that its simple sister, sumif does.
I'll
use a cell reference as my search criteria instead of text.

"T. Valko" wrote:

SUMPRODUCT doesn't accept wildcards.

Try something like this to count cells in A1:A10 that might contain "ABC"
anywhere within the cell:

=SUMPRODUCT(--(ISNUMBER(SEARCH("ABC",A1:A10))))

Note that case is not factor. ABC is the same as abc.

If in your application case *is* a factor then replace SEARCH with FIND.

Using FIND, ABC is not the same as abc.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"K1" wrote in message
I would prefer to use a wildcard for text criteria in sumproduct
counting
and
adding equations. I have tried versions of "*ABC*" and get false
values.

.