Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
msnyc07 msnyc07 is offline

Default Ignore "-"

I have a script that generates acronyms from company names. It was set it up
to ignore of, and, the, etc. (I didn't code it just spec'd it)

If Not (UCase(prom) = "OF") And Not (UCase(prom) = "FOR") And Not
(UCase(prom) = "THE") And _
Not (UCase(prom) = "AND") And Not (UCase(prom) = "A") And
Not (UCase(prom) = "ON") And Not (prom) = "-" Then

The problem is I need it to also ignore hyphens so for instance

Society for Maternal-Fetal Medicine

becomes

SMFM

I tried adding a hyphen to the code above (w/o UCASE) but it doesn't work.

Anyway I can do this without having to remove the hyphens themselves?