Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Carl_B Carl_B is offline

Default Whats wrong with this array formula - I figured it out

Using
{=AVERAGE(IF((A2:A9176="philadelphia"),(I2:I9176)) )}
produces the correct result

"Carl_B" wrote:

I have a worksheet with 5 city names in column A and dollar amounts in
column I.
I need to calculate the average amount for each city.
I use the array formula {=AVERAGE(I2:I9176*(A2:A9176="philadelphia"))} and
get 621.45. I also did this using an average value calculation in a Pivot
Table and got the result 1987.54 for Philadelphia. The other 4 cities had
similar discrepancies.

Is there something wrong with the array formula (No I did not type the
brackets) or am I interpreting the two results incorrectly?
Thanks,
Carl