Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Whats wrong with this array formula

Try it this way:

=AVERAGE(IF(A2:A9176="philadelphia",I2:I9176))

Still array-entered using Ctrl-Shift-Enter.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Feb 16, 6:55*pm, Carl_B wrote:
I have a worksheet with 5 city names in column A and dollar amounts in
column I.
I need to calculate the average amount for each city.
I use the array formula *{=AVERAGE(I2:I9176*(A2:A9176="philadelphia"))} and
get 621.45. *I also did this using an average value calculation in a Pivot
Table and got the result 1987.54 for Philadelphia. *The other 4 cities had
similar discrepancies.

Is there something wrong with the array formula (No I did not type the
brackets) or am I interpreting the two results incorrectly?
Thanks,
Carl