Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Baran Baran is offline

Default Removing duplicate records with long names in Excel 2007

Greetings,

This is probably a very simple question, sorry.

I have annual lists of company names and am trying to make a report of
changes in the lists; companies added and companies dropped. The problem is
that the names in the register are long and have lots of abbreviations which
might differ from year to year; one extra dot, a space missing etc., thus,
making the records for the same company differ from year to year. Now, how
can I filter two lists to remove the same records? Is there a function to do
that? Generally, for the same company, the first two words in the name remain
the same but the following ones might differ.

Thank you in advance.