Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Using Logical OR on text in Conditional Formatting

I think the formula that I gave you will work if you are looking at full
cell content, or Mike's formula if partial cell content. Just select all the
cells at the start.

HTH

Bob

"Darius Poli" / wrote in message
Thanks for the useful hints but I need a little more help I'm afraid.

Column A contains a list of text items and I want to colour them based on
the entry, for each entry, so I cannot use references to individual cells.

I tried setting the CF as =OR($A$1:$A$nn="text",...) but that will format
things based on the data in the entire column.

What I want to say is, for any cell, if that cell has text "xxx", format
one way, if it has text "yyy", format a different way. For a large range
of cells with changing values.

Thanks

Darius

---