Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Ron Rosenfeld Ron Rosenfeld is offline

Default How to format numbers as architectural fractions (1/16,1/8,1/4 )

On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 08:14:01 -0800, Jack W <Jack
wrote:

How do I format a number to the 1/16ths, but display the answer as an
architectural fraction? Example: I want to display .25 as 1/4 rather than
4/16, but want to round to 1/16 precision.

You cannot do that just with formatting.

If you merely set the format to display as fraction with up to two digits,
which has been suggested, then you will not round to 16ths.

You *DO* need to set the format to fraction with up to two digits. But:

What is required is either a VBA routine, which will alter your entry "on the
fly" to round to 16ths, or set up your worksheet so that the value is entered
in one cell; and then in a "helper column" you have a formula to do the
rounding: e.g. =ROUND(A1*16,0)/16

--ron