Total Hosting 1

Hi earl,

No, it's not GerWacko. I am just telling you what I *expected* to have
happen. It did in fact open a dialog to open an existing file. But since it's
on the same line as the file name field (and follows immediately after "File
Name to Write" I just expected it to behave differently than it did. Again,
due to it's proximity to a completely different type of function, but one in
which the same interface widget (i.e. "browse button") couild be applicable.
A simple change from "browse" to "open" might make it easier. Prehaps
swapping the "FNtw" and "Browse" might be useful. Trust me, I am no
technophile, but I did get confused.

As far as the rectangular selection, that was perfect. EXACTLY what I
needed. Of course it was right there in the "help" if I had bothered to look.

I am still blown away by the fact that Excel is so limited in it's export
capabilities. The functionality is right there in Access. But not in Excel.

Sheesh!

Well thanks for the superb job. I am just putting finishing touches on my
new site. I am going to throw you a link in my "resources" section.

Pete

"Earl Kiosterud" wrote:

Pete,

Thanks for the feedback.

As for the browse button, it's job is to give you a file - open dialog, and
to only put any selected file name into the name box of the Setup sheet. It
shouldn't open any files, or start any programs. If it does, something is
gerwhacko. Let me know.The dialog lists all files, and starts in the
current Excel folder, which you can change while you're in the dialog. If
you change folders while in that dialog, the Excel default path (current
folder) will be changed, which will determine where the file is written, per
Windows file specification rules. I hope, anyway.

a.txt - put file in Excel default path, default drive.
\a txt - put file in root of default drive. Ignore the default path
(current folder).
MyFolder\a.txt - put file in folder MyFolder, which should already be in the
Excel default path.
\MyFolder\a.txt - put file in MyFolder, which should already be in the root
of the default drive. Ignore the default path.
D:\Myfolder\MyDeeperFolder\a.txt - put file in drive and path specified,
ignoring default drive and default path.

As for writing the additional delimiters until a fixed count of fields has
been written to each record, per your example, the program normally does not
do that, but will do so if you use the "Write rectangular" option. You must
manually select the range it's to use, which determines how many fields to
write in each record (as well as how many records to write). You can have it
expand the selection from a single selected cell (as with sorting, charts,
etc.), if your data is contiguous and not adjacent to other data. If this
doesn't work that way, or doesn't meet your needs, let me know.
--
Earl Kiosterud