Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Don Guillett[_2_] Don Guillett[_2_] is offline

Default can I autopopulate from a long drop down list in Excel?

Instead of the dropdown.
This will take you to the name in col J

Sub gotonfirst3letteredname()
myname = InputBox("Enter first 3 letters of name")
If Len(myname) < 3 Then
MsgBox "THREE letters"
Exit Sub
End If
Columns("J").Find(What:=myname, After:=Range("j1"), _
LookIn:=xlValues, LookAt:=xlPart, SearchOrder:=xlByRows, _
SearchDirection:=xlNext, MatchCase:=False).Activate

Don Guillett
Microsoft MVP Excel
SalesAid Software

"seve" wrote in message
I have a very long list of referring physicians in a drop down list for
data
entry people to populate. I would like them to type in the first 3
characters and be immediately directed to that area of the drop down list.
Is this possible? Thanks!