Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
skeyesq skeyesq is offline

Default lookup formula not picking up correct data

I using Excel 2003 to create a "Lookup" formula to calculate grade points and
grade point averages. I want to insert the grade and have the grade
converted to a grade point then multiply by the number of credits for the
class. I created a vector with the grade and a corresponding vector with the
grade point. The formula I am using is =LOOKUP(D6, B1:N1, B2:N2) where D6 is
the lookup value (the grade); b1:n1 is the lookup vector; and b2:n2 is the
result vector. The result is that I get an "#N/A" error message when I input
some grades, I get the incorrect grade point when I input other grades, and
correct grade points when I input other grades. (Ex. 1. an "A" gets an
"#N/A" error message. Ex. 2. an "A+" is calculated at 3.67 instead of 4 as
indicated in the corresponding result vector. Ex. 3. a "C" is caluclated at
2.67 instead of 2 as indicated in the corresponding result vector. Ex. 4. A
"B" is calculated at 3.0 as indicated in the corresponding result vector.)
What am I doing incorrectly?