Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
tammyncook tammyncook is offline

Default Is Vlookup the correct way to do this?

Can I send you screen shots or my spreadsheet so you can see what I've got?
I'm not sure I'm communicating properly...

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

It sounds like the refreshed data doesn't come in the way you like.

If the values are coming in as text and your table has real numbers, you could
use:

=vlookup(--a1,sheet2!a:e,2,false)

the -- stuff will coerce text that look like numbers into numbers. (It'll cause
an error if you have real non-digits in A1.)

If the values are coming in as numbers and your table has text numbers, you
could use:

=vlookup(""&a1,sheet2!a:e,2,false)
or
=vlookup(text(a1,"000000"),sheet2!a:e,2,false)

But if it were my project, I'd fix my table to match the values (not just
format!) of the incoming data.

I think it's easier to fix the table than to remember how to modify formulas
each time I need an =vlookup().

tammyncook wrote:

Data is being retrieved from a separate source. The workbook with the
destination cells asks to update every time it is opened. No macros though.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

If your entries are digits, then it's not enough to just change the format of
the cells. You'll want to make the values numeric, too.

I like to find an empty cell
Edit|copy
Select the offending cells
Edit|paste special|add

This will coerce the "text numbers" to "number numbers".

You may need to do this to both ranges--the values you're matching and the
values in the first column of the vlookup range.

But that doesn't explain why your values (and formatting(?)) change when you
close and reopen the workbook.

Is the data static or is it being retrieved from some other source (maybe
refreshed when the workbook opens???)?

If you open the workbook with macros disabled, does the problem go away?

tammyncook wrote:

Okay. So I've checked to see if the destination & source are formatted the
same. They were not. So I fixed that.
BUT... here's the part I don't understand then.
They all work to start with. I enter the number I want it to pull the
dependant information for. All the info pulls in. I save it and close it,
then some time later, I will be notified that it's not pulling it in. Sure
enough I go look and all my values are at #N/A as if I never had entered the
number to begin with.
Will it behave this way due to the formatting??
Thanks,

--

Dave Peterson
.