Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Steve Steve is offline

Default Convert variable #'s in a gen. format to a # that can be used

E19 has a number in it. Formatted as a number.
Also, in playing around, I may have changed the formatting of J3. It is
currently formatted as a number.

Thanks,

Steve

"T. Valko" wrote:

E.g. Formula result is 6(in J3).... e19/j3 = #value!

What's in E19?

When a formula like that resturns a #VALUE! error it usually means one (or
possibly both) cells referenced contain TEXT. Since we know that J3 contains
numeric 6 then the problem has to be with cell E19.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
I do believe the "Days" will always be present, and your formula works to
produce either the single #, tens, or hundreds, but when I use that result
as
a divisor, it still produces a #value!
E.g. Formula result is 6(in J3).... e19/j3 = #value!

"T. Valko" wrote:

One way...

Assuming the word "Days:" is *always* present.

=--MID(A1,SEARCH("Days:",A1)+5,5)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve" wrote in message
I have this data that is pasted to my worksheet:

Period: 01/23/2010 to 01/29/2010 - Days: 6
It is in general format. The day numbers will always be in the last,
last
2
, or last 3 positions.
Depending on the period, the days may be any # up to the 365.
I need to use that day #, be it 6, or 25, or 147, whatever, as a
divisor
of
another number. E.g. if 6, then 1234 / 6 = 206
if 25, then 5678 / 25 = 227, etc/
The variable #'s will be in the same cell, so I basically want: E29/6
or
E29/25, or E29/147, etc.
Basically, those general formatted #'s converted to a usable/divisable
#.

Thanks,

Steve

.