Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default list in data validation

Couple ways to do this.

1. Howard Kittle method.

At each change of first letter in each code enter the character for the next
first letter. Include whole range in List.

ACE
AET
AMN
ARC
BBC
BEL
BRG
CBS
CDA
CEC

You get the picture.............

Now in your dropdown type C then hit the arrow. The list will open at C

2. Use a ComboBox with the DV dropdown.

Debra Dalgleish shows you how at her site. Involves some VBA.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 4 Feb 2010 09:58:05 -0800, benji
wrote:

in a cell I have Data validation with validation criteria to Allow List.
Now my list is a long list of 3 alphabet codes such as
ACE
AET
AMN
ARC
ARM
ASL
ATG
ATS
AUG
AWI
BBC
BEL
BRG
CBS
CDA
CEC
CHT
COP
CPT
CSM
CWT
CWT
DBA
DTK
when I do a normal filter I can go from one code starting with say letter
"A" to another code starting with "D" by simply pressing "D" on the
keyboard. This does not happen in this list. Is there some way I can make it
happen.