Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Gareth_Evans (InterCall EMEA) Gareth_Evans (InterCall EMEA) is offline

Default Hightlight cells that contain special characters

Hi Stefi, I've managed to get this working (not so much the conditional
format section though), the VBA had a return value in that I removed and it's
all ok.
Thanks for the suggestion, it goes some way to sorting this out but it's not
exactly what I was after.

If anyone else has any other suggestions on this, I've googled all day and
there are folks who want to identify these characters (but with varying end
reults, most want to auto replace or remove but I don't).

I'm sure it's a pretty simple code but it may take a while to get all the
characters written in. If this is the case, if someone can start me off I'll
happily carry on :)

Many thanks,

Gareth

"Stefi" wrote:

Try this UDF:

Function standchr(instring)
standchr = True
For i = 1 To Len(instring)
If Not (LCase(Mid(instring, i, 1)) = "a" And LCase(Mid(instring, i,
1)) <= "z") Then
standchr = False
Exit For
End If
Next i
End Function

Apply conditional formatting with formula
=NOT( standchr(A1))

--
Regards!
Stefi

€˛Gareth_Evans (InterCall EMEA)€¯ ezt Ć*rta:

Hi there, I have a spreadsheet containing first & last names (columns A & B),
up to 10,000 rows and some of the names contain 'foreign' characters - such
as Ć©.

I would like to be able to hightlight all cells that contain a non-standard
character (ie: A-Z, a-z, 0-9) which will allow our admin team to eailly
filter and correct before the data is loaded into the system.

I've been trying to create a macro for this but I can't seem to get a
formula together to include for all the possible special characters.

I'm ok with excel but by no means a whizz, if anyone can offer any advice I
would be most grateful.

Best regards,

Gareth