Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Day formula

The day number 28 returned from the date 1/28/2010 is being evaluated as the
date serial number 28 which when formatted as date is Jan 28 1900 which is a
Saturday.

Excel store dates as interger offsets from a base date. Using the default
date system that base date is Jan 1 1900. Jan 1 1900 has the numeric value
of 1. Jan 2 1900 has the numeric value of 2, Jan 3 1900 has the numeric
value of 3, etc., etc. Jan 28 2010 has the numeric value of 40206. It's the
40206th day since the base date of Jan 1 1900.

You can see the true numeric value of a date by formatting the cell that
contains the date as General or Number.

So, to get the weekday for a date you can try this:

=TEXT(E3,"ddd")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"JICDB" wrote in message
What's going on with the Day formula for 2010? I am working in Excel 2003
and the formula that I always use to pull the day of the week isn't
working.
I thought it might be my spreadsheet but I tried it in a blank one and got
the same thing.

Cell E3 has date 01/28/2010 formatted as a date. Cell G3 references cell
E3
with this formula =DAY(E3) and it is formatted as custom DDDD - so that I
see
the day of the week. January 28, 2010 is a THursday and it returns a
Saturday. When I format as a date only I get January 28th 1900. What am
doing wrong. It is not set to 1904 date system (when I do that I get
2014).