Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Day formula

=DAY() has never returned the day of the week. It returns the day of the
month. If you are struggling to understand what an Excel function does,
type its name into Excel help (unless the function is DATEDIF). In this
case, type DAY into Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"JICDB" wrote in message
What's going on with the Day formula for 2010? I am working in Excel 2003
and the formula that I always use to pull the day of the week isn't
working.
I thought it might be my spreadsheet but I tried it in a blank one and got
the same thing.

Cell E3 has date 01/28/2010 formatted as a date. Cell G3 references cell
E3
with this formula =DAY(E3) and it is formatted as custom DDDD - so that I
see
the day of the week. January 28, 2010 is a THursday and it returns a
Saturday. When I format as a date only I get January 28th 1900. What am
doing wrong. It is not set to 1904 date system (when I do that I get
2014).